Friday, February 5, 2010

DECKING THE NECK

LANVIN
MARNI
Megeve, France---
While packing for my trip to Tokyo last week, I faced a dilemna that I face everytime I have to go to a big city in winter.
What kind of jewellery should I bring?
Winter is not exactly the best time to be showing off your rocks because you're all wrapped up and that covers the pieces. PLus you can't feel what's on you with all the thick clothing and scarves. I've lost many earrings that way. They just fell off my ears because I couldn't feel anything either from the cold or because of a thick scarf.
Tokyo is also not exactly a city where you show off your rocks because they don't care. Even the tea lady is richer than you.
New York, meanwhile, is not exactly a place where you show off your rocks because you'll be robbed. That goes for London, Paris and the rest of free world except for Hong Kong and Singapore unless it is close to Chinese New Year.
WHELL! I thought, certainly not delicate chain necklaces since I don't do small any time of the year. Since OTT ribbon and tchotschy necklaces are a big story, I decided to bring one of mine. Certainly not as expensive/overpriced as those pictured above.
I have bought a strand of South Sea pearls that cost the same as those ribbon necklaces. You do the math but that's another story.
I brought a very inexpensive ribbon necklace that I bought from Firma, a shop in Manila. It is made of sequins and beads sewn on a large piece of lace.
It was certainly appreciated in Tokyo.
I was surprised since I thought the Japanese would be on to the next big thing like a teapot hanging from your neck or something.....

No comments: