Wednesday, November 26, 2008

UNCERTAINTY AND CYBER BULLIES



Readers of this blog may not exactly be dropping off the Rich List (because they were never on!) nor have they exactly seen their net worth halved in a few days. You may not even know (or care) about the opinion of Jim Rogers who believes the US dollar is "a flawed, maybe even doomed currency." His Hollywoed-length CV: banking guru, author of "The Investment Biker" and "The Adventure Capitalist," sold his 15 M USD NY house and moved to China with his family.

BUT I do try to look for stories in the business pages that apply to our lives of petty gossip and (mis)information.

The Analysis page of today's Financial Times has a sidebar by one of my favourite journalists, John Kay (he of the 'I'd rather walk than take Alitalia..." quote). Here are a few paragraphs that apply to us not only in finance and economics but moreso in general information---read: news and 'current' events in the genre of www.donavictorina.blogspot.com and www.delfindjmontano.blogspot.com. I would like to think my books are part of this crystal balling of society.

My mother used to (still does!) harp about my negativity and my opinions that question people's credibility, etc. Good examples---When the former burger-flipper was going out with Patricia Borromeo, he could do no wrong. Then he turns around and married Her Royal Whiteness. Others that have 'come out of the termite-infested woodwork"---Yoyo Tan, Alicia Santos-Daniels (perhaps he would like to check what his staff uses as reference to 'learn' more about their boss), The Nivera Twins, Corinna Caballero, and others too toxic to mention. I rest my case.


Anyway, back to John Kay and the future of the world:

"....Extrapolation assumes that the future will be like the past, only more so. We project current preoccupations--the rise of China and India, global terror, climate change, (blogger comment: the increasing number of baduy people on earth)---with exaggerated speed and to an exaggerated degree.

"We forget that our preoccupations change. The people who worry about these issues today would 20 years ago have worried about the coming economic hegemony of Japan and the cold war. These issues were resolved in ways that few predicted....

(blogger comment: Like who knew that the internet would be so powerful a tool in organizing and disbanding groups, disseminating information and smearing reputations?)

"Still, you might think there would be large rewards for those who succeed in anticipating these events. You would be wrong. (blogger comment: If only I knew!) People who worried before 2000 that the 'new economy' was a bubble, or warned of the terrorist threat before Sept 11 2001, or saw that credit expansion was out of control in 2006, were not popular. They were killjoys.
(blogger comment: When my husband decided to sell our London flat, I felt worse than London on a rainy day....But now, I am very grateful)

"Nor were they popular after these events. If these people had been right, then others had been blind or negligent,and the latter preferred to represent themselves as victims of unforeseeable events. (blogger comment: I am JUST WAITING to see the getting high society fall then let's see who will be the real victims) As John Maynard Keynes observed, it is usually better to be conventionally wrong than unconventionally right." (blogger comment: uh..oh...too late for me!)

Thus, I think the truthfulness and frankness of Gorrell and Amiel have made great inroads in creating a revolution on the blogosphere at least for Philippine readers and the diaspora. Perhaps people now want to know about what USED TO BE conventionally wrong??

OH YES---the photo....I forgot--the most important thing!!!

Heard along the patola vine (because yesterday, for my 8th wedding anniversary --Im NOT COPYING chuvaness, okay??---I didn't have lunch out, instead ate leftover (chicken)shepherd's pie) -----Gorrell has closed his blog temporarily because he is tired but more likely 'sick and tired' of cyber bullies.

I cannot say it enough but I hate cyber bullies who hide behind pseudonyms or anonymity. It is the worst form of cowardice.

No comments: