Tuesday, September 16, 2008

MARRIAGES-not what they seem?

When I read the review of this book early this year, I bought it immediately but did not start reading it until two nights ago. It sat on my guest bedroom night stand together with a book by the Seventh Dalai Lama, another on death and reincarnation, two books on communicating with animals and a Verdura tome (and 'Essentials" brochure--as if!) whose contents I can only dream about.

As you can see, this little book of less than 200 pages could easily get lost among the other more exciting books. But then something happened on my way to pull out my Lanvin coat in the guest bedroom....

This is one of DA BEST books that I have ever read. The story of a husband being gay is not unusual but the time (the Fifties) and the race (black) of the main characters make the story most unusual. But there's MORE.....Don't you already love it???

This quote from the book jacket (unlike Alicia Santos-Daniels, I QUOTE, not plagiarize) summarizes the journey of this great read that kept me up till 3AM last night:

"......It is written in prose that makes you want to slow the book down and read passages over agian, but it also has a plot that makes you want to race ahead and stay up all night until you know what happens in the end.' -Colm Toibin, author of The Master

I don't think I will ever be able to write as sharply as Andrew Sean Greer.

The book itself did not make me cry.

But it did made me think and my thoughts made me cry.

For anyone who ever wondered "Why did he/she do it?" (and haven't we all? Especially me the social detective!!!) , I highly recommend this book. (of course, the book doesn't answer the question but explores why these things can't be answered)


6 comments:

zipppo said...

The book is about a marriage. Hmmmmm.....the husband is gay and on the book cover is San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.

Oriellini said...

I'll grab one at fullybooked or powerbooks.Gay husbands etal...our polite society have this drama a million times over!!!

Chinachix said...

interesting. will check this out for sure!

topazhorizon.com said...

Hi Kitty! This isn't connected to the book but I just giggled at the little comments about having a guest bedroom and the Lanvin coat. So chic hits the fan! Love it!

P.S. Some schmuck borrowed my autographed copy of Chic and never returned it! So annoying since a friend of mine had penciled in the real names of the people in the book and now I don't have my kodigo!

Oriellini said...

Kitty,darling,what happened to Brian's blog?i can't access it.everyone is going gaga why they can't access the "blog".

thereislifeafter50 said...

Hmmm, the title sounds interesting. Got to check it out. Gay husbands are not new to me, regardless of their race. My own brother was married with 5 children, and he was gay. the marriage last until his wife found out later.